The plant cerebra odollam grows all over India and its fruits resembles with unripe mangoes.
- Glycoside cerberin
- Alkaloid cerebroside
Cerbera odollam causes heart failure which ultimately leads to death.
Signs and Symptoms
- Bitter taste in month
- Violent vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Irregular respiration
- Collapse and death.
Kernel of one fruit
1 to 2 days
- Gastric lavage
- Intravenous administration of molar solution of sodium lactate to combat acidosis and 5 percent solution with 1.2 mg atropine, 2 ml of adrenaline 1 : 1000 and 2 mg of nor adrenaline ( if blood pressure is low) to combat heart block.
- Symptomatic treatment
- Nothing specific
- Signs of gastrointestinal irritation and congestion of various organs may be seen
- Poisoning is common in India where the kernel of the fruit is eaten to commit suicide mostly in dowry cases.
- Accidental poisoning may occur in children who eat the fruit by mistake.
- Homicidal poisoning may occur by adding the powdered kernel to alcohol/