Colorless, heavy liquid which acts powerfully on organic matter, rapidly breaking it up and blackening it. A large amount of heat is evolved when it is mixed with water.
Chemical Formula - H2SO4
Synonym - Oil of Vitriol
Signs and Symptoms
- Tongue become swollen shapeless mass covered with white coating.
- Teeth becomes chalky white.
- Lips becomes swollen and excoriated.
- Black trickle marks appear on lips, cheeks and chin due to dribbling of the acid from the angles of the mouth.
- Black or brownish vomiting.
10-15 ml for adult ( Half of this amount for children)
12 to 24 hours.
- Milk of magnesia to neutralize the acid.
- Use of demulcents (Milk, vegetable oils, starch solution etc. )
- 10 mg morphine I.M for pain.
- Corticosteroids to combat shock
- Ice sucking to relieve thirst.
- Sulphuric acid is commonly used for suicidal purposes due to its easily availability.
- Accidental cases have occurred from its having been mistaken for glycerin, syrup or castor oil.
- It is given internally as an abortifacient.
- Vitriolage - Throwing of acid over the face by malicious people is very common and known as vitriolage. It may lead to permanent scar over the face and even cause blindness.
- Blackish or brownish marks of corrosion on the whole surface from inside the mouth down to the stomach.
- Structure of esophagus is seen.
- Extensive marks of corrosion, inflammation and perforation is found on the stomach.
- Peritoneal cavity contains grumous (clotted) fluid.