Danta-dhavana (cleaning the teeth)
Twigs useful for cleaning of the teeth :
- Arka (Calotropis procera)
- Nyagrodha (Ficus bangalensis)
- Khadira (Acacea catachu)
- karanja (Pongamia Pinnata)
- Kakubha (Terminalia arjuna) and other herbs such as -
- Karavira (red) (Nerium indicum)
- Sarja (Vateria indica)
- Irimeda (Acacia farnesiana)
- Apamarga (Achyranthus aspera)
- Malati (Jasminum grandifolium)
Features of twigs useful for brushing:
Twigs useful for brushing should have -
- 12 inches of length with the circumference of a little finger.
- should be straight and devoid of nodes.
- collected from sacred places.
- And also having Katu , tikta and Kashaya rasas (i.e pungent, bitter and astringent tastes) are good for brushing.
How and when to brush?
- One should brush the teeth early in the morning as well as immediately after having food without causing pain or injury to the gums.
-In Ashtanga Sangraha, the following procedure is given for brushing the tooth.
-Vapya means kushta ( Saussurea lappa ) , trivarga, tritaya means three groups of 3-3 drugs viz
- Take the fine powders of the above drugs and prepare paste by mixing honey. Then use the paste for brushing the tooth with the help of twigs by rubbing without causing injury to the gums, The lower row of teeth should be brushed initially and then the upper row is to be followed.
- Twigs having sweet , sour and salt tastes should not be used for brushing.
- Dry , hallow , putrefied twigs also should not be used.
Tongue scrapping :
After brushing teeth, scrape the tongue with the help of tongue cleaners, which should not be sharp edged and is curved, made of metals like gold, silver , copper etc.
- Removes the dirt of the tongue, bad taste and foul smell of tongue, mouth and teeth.
- Produces better taste, cleanliness and softness of the mouth.