Anjana ( collyrium ) :
सैविरंज्जनं नित्यं हितंक्ष्णोस्ततो भजेत | ( अ.हृ.सू. २/४)
After cleaning of teeth ( danta- dhavana ) use of sauviranjana ( Anatimony sulphide) as collyrium is excellent for protecting eyes.
Advantages of Sauviranjana :
- Eyes become lovely and clean.
- Able to see even minute objects.
- All the three colored parts of the eyes will become well defined.
- Eyelashes become smooth and firm.
- As eyes are associated with tejo (agni-fire ) mahabhuta predominantly, continuous use of sauviranjana (collyrium ) provoke kapha dosha.
- Therefore, rasanjana (prepared from darvi kvatha - Berberis aristata) is to be applied once in a week to alleviate the vitiated kapha for keeping the vision clear.
Nasya (Nasal drops) :
After the use of collyrium application of nasal drops with anu taila and then gargling is adviced.
Advantages of nasal drops :
Regular use of anu taila as pratimarsha nasya ( administering 2-2 drops in each nostril)-
- Keeps the shoulders,neck and chest strong.
- Voice becomes sweet.
- Mouth becomes fresh and free from foul smell.
- All the sense organs becomes clear and strengthy.
- Skin becomes wrinkle free.
- Hair never becomes grey.
Gandusha-Kavala-dharana (gargles) :
- Holding the liquid drugs i the buccal cavity for a specific period without moving the drugs is known as gandusa.
- Whereas in Kavala dharana, kalka dravya is used and it is allowed to move in the oral cavity for a specific period.
Advantages of gargles :
- Gives strength to the mandibular joints.
- voices will be cleared.
- Gives strength to the mouth.
- Dryness in the mouth and cracks in the lips are relieved.
- Relieves toothache and strengthens the gums.
- Khadira, kshiri vrksha, irimeda etc. are the drugs of choices for kavala-dharana.
- Anorexia, foul smell of the mouth, salivation etc. will be relieved.
- Gandusa with luke warm water will make the mouth clean and cheerful.
Duration of gandusa/kavala-dharana :
- Gandusa and kavala should be done till the person gets watery discharge from the nose and eyes.
- After nasal drops and gargles , inhalation of smoke ( prayogika dhuma), use of perfumes and garlands are adviced.