Mud is one of the five elements of nature having immense impact on the body in health as well as in sickness. It can be employed conveniently as a therapeutic agent in naturopathy treatment as its black colour absorbs all the colours of the sun and conveys them to body.
Secondly as the mud retains moisture for a long time, when applied over the body part it causes cooling.
Thirdly its shape and consistency can be changed easily by adding water. Moreover, it is cheap and easily available.
Types of Soil
Mud found in different parts of the world has different properties. Mud composition varies with olace of origin. Firstly, a mineral constituent of mud varies with the kind of rocks found in the region and the process of soil formation. Secondly, mud properly is influenced by kind of flora and fauna of the region.
Dark cotton soil having some greasiness is suitable for mud therapy as it is rich in minerals and also retains water for long time.
It should always be free from contamination and free from any kind of pollution.
Fango mud - Thermal mud of hot springs
Moor mud - Peat-based organic mud's
Mud from Dead Sea :
Cleopatra ans Queen Sheeba used it for enhancing beauty; black mud of Dead Sea has beautifying and therapeutic powers. It contains more than 20 kinds of salts and minerals including Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium Bromide, Silicates, Natural Tar and organic elements. While these beneficial minerals are useful for healing any kind of skin disorders, the presence of silicates make its masks very beneficial for softening and cleansing skin. The mud enhances blood circulation and leaves the skin with a glow.
Doctrine of mud selection
The pack is typically 9"x 6", enough to cover the eyes completely.
1. In this, mud or clay is first ground and shifted to remove all impurities,and then smooth paste is made with hot water mix.
2. Mud is applied to entire body in sitting/a lying positive
3. Is kept for 45 to 60 min and ideally exposed to sunlight
Benefits of Mud Bath
- Helps in increasing blood circulation and energizing the skin tissues
- Helps in cleansing and improves overall skin complexion, clear spots and patches on the skin
- Useful in skin diseases such as psoriasis, urticaria, leprosy, Skin allergic conditions.