Fasting refers to complete abstinence from food for a short or long period for a specific purpose.
Fasting is nature's oldest, most effective and yet least expensive method of treating disease. The practice of fasting is one of the most ancient customs. It is followed in almost every religion.
The common cause of all diseases is the accumulation of waste and poisonous matter in the body which results from over eating.
- Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink or both for a period of time.
- Medical context : the metabolic status of a person who has not eaten overnight.
- The metabolic state achieved after complete digestion and absorption of a meal.
Importance of fasting
- During fasting body eliminates these toxins and morbid matte with a great speed.
- It improves the vital power or vital economy because the energy engaged in eliminating the toxins and morbid matter is saved.
- It is the cheapest mode of the treatment in nature cure.
- Fasting can help reverse the ageing process, and if we use it correctly, we will live longer, happier lives. Just three days a month will do it.
- Your body will have a chance to heal and rebuild its immune system by regular fasting.
- You can fight off illness and the degenerative diseases so common in this chemically polluted environment we live in.
Types of fasting
1. According to duration -
a. Short duration - 2-5 days
b. Intermittent - 1-2 days
c. Long duration more than 10 days
2. Depending on the purpose of fasting
3. Depending on the method of fasting
a. Dry fasting - without drinking water
b. Water fasting - Only with water
c. Juice fasting - nursing only juice
d. Fruit fasting - with eating fruits
e. Manodiet fasting - by using single type of food
4. Depending on condition
a. In healthy person
b. In acute illness - fast till the disease subside and person has sense of lightness
c. In chronic illness - short fast (3-5 days) is indicated with proper intervals. Positive food is given during the period of breaking fast.
Method of fasting
The best, safest and most effective method of fasting is juice fasting. Although the old classic form of fasting was pure water fast, most of the leading authorities on fasting today agree that juice fasting is far superior to water fast.
According to Dr. Rangar Berg, the famous authority on nutrition " During fasting the body burns up and excretes huge amount of accumulated wastes. We can help this cleansing process by drinking alkaline juice instead of water while fasting.... Elimination of uric acid and other inorganic acids will be accelerated and sugars in juices will strenghten the heart ......juices fasting is, therefore, the best form of fasting"
1. To dissolve & eliminate toxins, congestion that have formed in any part of the body
2. To cleanse the kidneys and digestive system
3. To purify the glands & cells throughout entire body
4. To eliminate all unusual waste & hardened material in joints & muscles
5. To relieve pressure & irritation in nerves, arteries & blood vessels
6. To build a healthy blood stream
7. To keep youth & elasticity regardless of age.