It belongs to family of Euphorbiaceae and is a tropical hedge plant seen all over India. Seeds are oval, dark brown, longitudinal lines, and resemble one variety of castor seeds.
जेपाल, दन्तीबीज, रेचक, सारक, विभेदक etc.
- Croton (toxalbumin)
- Crotonoside (glycoside)
Signs and Symptoms
- These are similar to poisoning by rici.
- The oil causes blistering externally.
- On ingestion causes severe gastro-intestinal irritation with burning pain in the abdomen, vomiting, powerful purging and frequently a burning pain at the anus.
- In substantial dosage, collapse precedes death.
In children - 1 seed will causes severe symptoms and 3 drops of the oil have proved fatal in a child of one year.
In adults - Four seeds have produced death, and 20 drops of the oil have proved fatal to adults, through recovery has been recorded after 15 ml of the impurity.
Fatal period -
Death may occur in a few hours, about four to six, or may be delayed for few days, about 3 to 6.
- Decontamination (stomach wash, activated charcoal and cathartics)
- Maintenance of fluid and electrolyte balance
- Supportive measures.
Gastro-intestinal and renal congestion.
- Most of the cases are accidental in nature arising out of therapeutic misuse or mistaken ingestion of seeds, especially by children.
- Suicidal and homicidal cases are rare.